Partnership for Children’s Rights currently focuses on two primary and immediate areas of concern for children in need:

Special Education

Children with certain disabilities may qualify for special education programs and services. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) requires that your school district provide your child with a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment.

The IDEA ensures that “all children with disabilities have available to them a free appropriate public education that emphasizes special education and related services designed to meet their unique needs and prepare them for further education, employment and independent living.”

If the Department of Education determines that your child has a disability that interferes with his or her learning, your child may be entitled to a different classroom setting, related services to address his or her learning problems, or certain accommodations.

If you feel your child is not making progress in school, has not been properly evaluated, is not placed in the appropriate class setting, or is not receiving the services needed to address his or her problem, please contact PFCR for assistance.

Social Security Disability Benefits

The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, part of the Social Security Act, was established to provide financial assistance to disabled children who suffer from specific medical impairments. Children from economically disadvantaged families must meet income eligibility guidelines as well as physical or mental health needs criteria to qualify for benefits. Children who are eligible for SSI disability benefits also receive Medicaid coverage.

If your initial application is denied, please contact PFCR for legal assistance to challenge that decision. An attorney will evaluate your case and determine whether there is sufficient documentation to reverse the denial of benefits.

If your initial application is denied, you will receive a letter from the Social Security Administration entitled “Notice of Disapproved Claim” advising you that you have 60 days plus 5 days for mailing to “appeal” this decision. Complete and file the form entitled “Request for Hearing by Administrative Law Judge” with your local SSA office.

If you have any questions, call the Social Security Administration or contact Partnership for Children’s Rights.

Comments are closed.